The great thing about this recipe is that it is QUICK, easy, and may help satisfy the craving for some Chinese food! This recipe is meatless, but as always there’s a way to add meat. The best alternative would be to use chicken, but even in this original recipe, they say that the best combination is to use both chickpeas AND chicken. So feel free to substitute or add meat to make this more of your ideal meal!
Chopsticks are not needed to eat but may make it a lot more fun!…or just more complicated.
Ingredients For General Tso’a Chickpeas and Veggies
Makes 4 servings
General Tso’s Sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob of ginger, grated
½ cup vegetable broth
½ cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved into 1-2 tbsp water
Stir fry Veggies
1 (15ounce) can of chickpeas
2-3 tbsp sesame oil
1 head of broccoli, cut into bit-sized florets
1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced
Optional: Chicken breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
Prepare 2 cups brown rice or quinoa for serving
Directions For General Tso’s Chickpeas and Veggies
1) In small saucepan, heat the sesame oil over medium heat
2) Add the ginger and garlic, allow to become fragrant. Approximately 1-2 minutes
3) Add remaining ingredients and whisk together. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened
Note: Sauce will thicken as it cools as well
Veggie Stir fry
(This would be the time that you want to make your rice or quinoa. If using chicken in recipe, follow step 5. Allow more time for chicken to thoroughly cook through.)
1) In large skillet, add 2-3 tbsp oil and heat until shimmering but not burning. Add white parts of the green onions and some of the green parts. Sauté for about 30 seconds.
2) Add peppers and sauté 3-4 minutes, until peppers are tender. Add broccoli, cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
3) Add a few spoonfuls of the sauce made previously. Heat 2-3 minutes, just until the sauce is warmed back up
4) Place vegetables into bowl and set aside
5) Add chickpeas to the saucepan that was just used, on medium heat. Sauté 2-3 minutes. Spoon the rest of the sauce onto the chickpeas, stir, let simmer with the sauce. The more time you allow to simmer, the more the sauce will dissolve into the chickpeas.
6) Serve chickpeas and veggies over rice or quinoa, garnish with sesame seeds and the rest of the green parts of the green onions.
For more healthy recipes like this check out our other blog posts at: www.bodyforcefitness247.com/blog/
At Body Force our members are people just like you. Click below to read some of their stories. People of Body Force