In the midst of the holidays you are probably done with the traditional foods of the season so here is a recipe for black bean and sweet potato enchiladas. It’s a double dose of goodness with shredded sweet potato stuffed inside and curried sweet potato and tomato sauce on top.
This recipe comes to us from Whole Foods (link below)
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
This recipe is great for recovering from the overindulgences of the holiday season. It is meat free and nutrient and flavor rich. This is not a quick recipe so make sure you have time to prepare it. If you want to bake the sweet potato in the oven you will need about an hour and a half to make this meal, optionally you can bake the sweet potato in the microwave and cut prep time by about 40 minutes. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors makes this a great meal. Serve with a side of Mexican rice or refried beans to complete the meal.
Here is what you will need to prepare your black bean and sweet potato enchiladas.
2 large sweet potatoes
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (13.4-ounce) package no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
8 corn tortillas
To Prepare Your Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Follow these steps:
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Pierce 1 sweet potato all over with a fork, and place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes. (microwave if time is an issue) Peel and mash potato; measure out 1 cup. Meanwhile, peel and shred the raw potato. Measure out 2 cups.
2) Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
3) To make the sauce, in a medium saucepan, heat tomatoes, mashed sweet potato and curry powder to a boil. Remove from heat. Purée mixture with an immersion blender or transfer to an upright blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
4) Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shredded sweet potato and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until it begins to stick to the pan. Stir in 1/2 cup water and cumin, cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and stir in black beans and spinach until mixture is evenly combined.
5) Spread 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Gently warm tortillas in the oven or a dry skillet. Lightly coat 1 tortilla in sauce in the baking dish. Spoon 1/8 of the bean and sweet potato mixture down center of tortilla. Wrap and roll tortilla to the end of the baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Top with remaining sauce.
6) Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Per Serving: Serving size: 2 enchiladas, 370 calories (30 from fat), 3g total fat, 180mg sodium, 75g carbohydrates, (14 g dietary fiber, 12g sugar), 11g protein.
For more healthy recipes like this check out our other blog posts at: www.bodyforcefitness247.com/blog/
Make 2019 your year of fitness. Sign-up for our 30-day VIP Training Program by clicking below:
Recipes in this week’s blog came from the following websites: