Football season is here along with the quick approach of fall and cooler weather. This time of year, I start to get in the mood for chili. This delicious recipe for easy white chicken chili can be made with just 5 ingredients in as little as 15 minutes. This recipe comes for Ali at Gimme Some Oven, see the link below.
Easy White Chicken Chili
One of my favorite things as the weather starts getting cooler is making a big pot of chili on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I like using the crock-pot and throwing everything in there and just letting it all steep together as it cooks and the smell fills the house.
I don’t always have all day to let the chili cook, this easy white chicken chili only takes about 15 minutes to prepare in an insta-pot assuming that you have the chicken pre-cooked. More traditional methods of prep do take considerably longer.
This recipe is simple with just 5 “Main” ingredients. Using only chicken stock, shredded chicken Great Northern white beans salsa verde (the green stuff) and cumin, you will have a good basic white chili.
There are a number of optional ingredients you can add once your easy white chicken chili is ready to serve. You can add as much or as little as you like depending on your taste. Some diced avocado, chopped green onion, crushed tortilla chips, and fresh chopped cilantro add texture and flavor.
Give this recipe a try when you get the craving for some chili as the weather cools down.
6 cups chicken stock
4 cups cooked shredded chicken*
2 (15 ounces) cans Great Northern beans, drained
2 cups (16 ounces) salsa Verde (store-bought or homemade)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
optional toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips
*4 cups shredded chicken is equivalent to approximately 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Feel free to use the raw chicken breasts in the slow cooker method, then shred them once the soup (and chicken) is fully cooked.
To Prepare Your Easy White Chicken Chili
1) Add chicken stock, shredded chicken, beans, salsa and cumin to a large stockpot, and stir to combine.
2) Heat over medium-high heat until boiling, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
3) Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
4) Serve warm with desired toppings.
Slow Cooker Method:
1) Add chicken stock, chicken, salsa and cumin to a slow cooker, and stir to combine.
2) Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
3) Add the beans during the last half hour of cooking.
4) Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
5) Serve warm with desired toppings.
Instant Pot Method:
1) Add chicken stock, chicken, salsa and cumin to an Instant Pot pressure cooker, and stir to combine.
2) Close lid securely and set vent to “Sealing”.
3) Press “Manual”, then press “Pressure” until the light on “High Pressure” lights up, then adjust the +/- buttons until time reads 8 minutes.
5) Once the soup has cooked, very carefully turn the vent to “Venting” for quick release, and wait until all of the steam has released and the valve has dropped.
6) Remove the lid, and stir in the beans.
7) Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
8) Serve warm with desired toppings.
For more healthy recipes like this check out our other blog posts at: www.bodyforcefitness247.com/blog/
At Body Force our members are people just like you. Click below to read some of their stories.
Recipes in this week’s blog came from Finding Silver Linings;